Recycling Pillow Covers into a Cushion Cover


Helllluuuuu! :)

I recently scored at one of my local thrift shoppes and 
got this amazing vintage wicker patio set.
I was thrilled to say the least! 

It needs a bit of work and repair but I was pretty sure I could manage that :)
First order of business was to cover the old cushion!!
Here is a tutorial detailing how I put the new cushion cover together :)
****



#1 & #2 ---> Clay pots don't exactly convey the "granny chic" look I am going for ;)

#3 ---> I found these lovely large quilted pillow case covers at another
thrift store for a mere $3.00 and knew I was onto something.

#4 ---> I thought if I got rid of the green & white borders on the sides
 of cases these I could make it look like a small quilt cover instead.



#5 ---> I  folded the edges under to create a center front seam 
and I switched up the direction of the points to make it a bit more interesting.
Aaaaaand, also if my corners and seams didn't match up 
perfectly it wouldn't be so obvious. You know, creative license ;)

#6 ---> Pin the seam down carefully matching up edges and corners

#7 ---> Top-stitch the seam down with a long stitch length.
( I use a long stitch length for top-stitching as I think it looks nicer and neater.
Also, if you need to pick out a seam, you aren't picking away at a million
teeny tiny stitches. Nothing worse. Nothing!)

#8---> I pinned back the green and white border edges in the center
 front as well as the original pillow back openings.
I then slipped stitched these seams down quickly with
large stitches by hand. This keeps the edges in place, flat and tidy. 



#9---> You could use anything fairly sturdy for the bottom of your cushion. It should be washable
and durable. I had this piece from a  vintage chenille bedspread which I knew would
pull the pinks out of the pillow cases.

#10 ---> A center back zipper opening makes it easy to get the cushion in and out of the cover
for washing. 

#11 ---> I used two dress zippers bc I didn't have anything longer. This way you still
get a nice long opening so you don't have to cram the pillow into a tiny opening.

#12 ---> I marked in 3" from the edge for the zipper. No specific reason
for the large seal allowance, just a personal preference.


#13 ---> I stitched about 8" from the fabric edge down on the both 
ends to create the opening for the zipper.

#14 and #15---> Place the tops of both zippers at the center of your pillow back ( see arrow)
Pin the zippers in all the way around the edge. Turn the zipper tape ends under and back to keep
 the meeting of the zippers tidy. (see arrows)

#16 --->Stitch all the way around the zippers back stitching across each end to
reinforce and keep secure. Open the zips a tiny bit so you have an opening for later on.

#17 ---> Place the right side of the pillow case up with the cushion on top of it.
Then lay the back of the cover right side down on the cushion.
This way you can pin around the cushion and create a stitching line for yourself.
I trimmed the pink fabric back so I could see the front cushion edge to help
makes things less fussy and easier when sewing.

#18 ---> I pinned the ends of our new cushion cover together so that the pins are placed in 
the original seam line between the white and green borders of the original pillow case.
 This way the stitching line will be very straight and you will only see the original
white border and none of the green. I used my fingers to feel for the seam and checked
to see if the pins and original seam where matching on the back.
That is way the pins in the ends on up and down.

( BTW- this is only a concern bc I a using a quilted pillow case. If you
have to regular pillow cases without borders and edges to keep straight
I wouldn't matter at all. I like to make things more difficult ;)

#19 ---> Pin all the way around pulling the fabric snug around the cushion.
I also used my fingers to feel for the seam of the front pillow cases along the sides.
Again, I used these seams to help keep my stitching straight and not veering of course.
Remove the cushion from the cover ( this why it is good to have the zippers
opened a bit at this point. Makes getting the cushion out easier ;) I can't
tell you how many times I have forgotten to leave the zip
open a bit!!! ) Stitch all the way around your cover.

#20 ---> I used a pink bobbin thread so you can see my stitch line 
and how I tried to match it to the seam on the original pillow case.



#21 ---> I serged my corners but if you don't have a serged a quick zig zag around
 the edge will help keep things from fraying during the wash.
And, if you don't have a zig zag stitch...don't worry about it :)

#22 --->Clip your corners, turn it right side out. 
Place your cushion back in the cover...this is where the long
zipper opening comes in handy ;)

#23 ---> I put a little white ribbon tab in the seam at the back so I know
which is the front and which is the back for the best fit.

#24 --->Looking good!! My edges are nice and clean and straight w none of the
green fabric from the other side of the border showing thru. Hurrah!!
No matter how much sewing I do...straight clean seams still make me very happy.


Looks pretty good if I do say so myself!
I am very happy with it :)
Now, to learn how to repair the caning around the legs....stay tuned!

Hope you enjoyed the tutorial. if you have any questions please
feel free to ask :)

Chat soon!! Luv Weezi xo


No comments