Recycle Outdoor Table Cloth into Pillow Cover

Hellluuuu Darlings!
Today I am going to show you how to make
a quick water resistant outdoor cushion cover
 from a plastic table cloth.
It is super easy and a great project for beginners
and pros alike. And, the best part is that it's a quick 
sewing project so you get to see results fast :)

Let's get started!

I found this fabulous vintage wicker chair last week
during yet another thrift store bonanza  :)
( I am having great luck w wicker furniture this summer!)

It needs two things...a pillow and a side table.
The pillow was easiest to remedy.


1. I thrifted a pillow and a pretty floral outdoor
tablecloth from the Salvation Army for a total of $4.00 :)

2. I got this particular tablecloth to use bc it has the fuzzy back. 
Sewing with vinyl or plastic of any kind can make you
crazy!! It sticks, it has no give and will turn into a 
horrible mess in an instant. I avoid it as much as possible.
This plastic w the fuzzy back however is a dream.
Just be sure to use a large stitch length. If you use a small 
stitch length the stitches will be too close together and your seams
will rip like perforated paper.

3. I cut out two pieces of tablecloth allowing for about 
4" of wiggle room and seam allowance all the way around the pillow.

4. I took one of those two pieces and folded it in half
and made sure it covered 3/4 of the pillow.


5. You have two pieces: A. will for the front and B. will be the back.

6. Take piece B and fold it in half like in #4 but this time cut that piece in half.

7. Now you have 3 pieces :)

8. Fold under about an inch or so of one of your back pieces
and stitch the edge down.
This will be the front or top of the back of your pillow.

( Note: This isn't totally necessary bc this fabric doesn't fray.
Chances are you aren't going to wash it so you can leave the
edge raw and unturned if you like. I just am a bit of a neat freak
when it comes to edges and like everything to be tidy. I realize most
likely no one is going to look under my pillow and judge whether
or not I turned under the edge...but I will know ;)


9. Place the top of your pillow cover back with the edge you just 
 stitched over the other half or bottom of your back pillow.

10. I gave myself a 4" overlap when I placed the folded top
over the bottom. This gives a nice opening in the back, 
will still overlap well and keep the pillow from being exposed.

11. Pin the edges down at the side. You can baste these sides
together now or just pin and it will get sewn when you sew
the front to back around the edge of the pillow cover.
 If you leave the pins in keep the heads of the pins
out to the edge. This way you won't forget and 
accidentally cut the pins when trimming. I can't tell you how
 many pairs of scissors I have wrecked by cutting into pins.
Grrrrr!

12. Place your two pinned back pieces over the front piece.
Measure your pillow and then mark out your stitching lines.
My pillow as 17" x 19" and I added a 1/2" seam allowance.


13. & 14. Stitch w a larger stitch length and trim away the excess.
Clip your corners but not too close.
In general, one thing you can do is use a slightly smaller stitch length when
stitching around the corners to help make it a bit easier when 
poking out your corners. Many times I have poked my
"pointy-corner-thingy" right out the other side. Not good.
A smaller stitch length will help keep whatever you use for corners
inside ;) I used a very dull pencil on this pillow cover.

15. Turn it right side out and Voila! An easy opening in the back.

16. All finished :)


Looks Great!! All I need now is to find a sweet little table to go
beside it ...which means more thrift store shopping ;)

Happy Sewing!!
Chat soon, luv Weezi xo