Spinach Indian Style: Palak Paneer

Helluuuu Pussycats!

Last week I attempted a popular Indian
dish called Palak Paneer. I always order
this when Milos and I go for Indian and I LUV it.
So, in an attempt to once again move out of my
"cooking comfort" zone I decided to give this a try.
Palak Paneer is an Indian gravy based curry made
 of spinach and paneer (a non melting Indian cheese) 
in a tomato and onion gravy with Indian spices.
It is a vegetarian deeeelight! :)


This was the recipe that I picked to start with:

And as usual, I didn't follow it exactly because I
apparently have issues and don't like to follow instructions ;)
Story of my life!!!
( hence the real reason why many recipes I try don't
 turn out right but that is a blog post for another day) 

This recipe called for fresh baby spinach but
I decided to use frozen because I had a lot
 in the freezer and I didn't know exactly when 
I would have time to make it.
I used 3 packaged of chopped frozen spinach.


I defrosted it all in the microwave and the squeezed
all the water out.


I was worried that it wouldn't be enough for this recipe 
but it turned out to be Ok.


I sauteed my onions, garlic and tomatoes in olive oil.


These are the delightful spices that she called for:
cumin, ginger, cinnamon and paprika. 


I got everything mixed in together to simmer.
It looked good but I knew there wasn't enough
liquid in there so I added more water, olive oil and
about 3 tablespoons of yogurt.
I let it simmer for 10 minutes and then added more water.
Simmered another 10 and added a bit more yogurt.



I got the paneer cheese all mixed in and it looked wonderful.
I was super pumped!!

I didn't put in the heavy cream because
I wanted it to be less "fatty" so I thought I could
just add more yogurt and it would be fine.

Remember that thing I said earlier about not
following the recipe and things not turning out?


Yeeeeeah. Not so much.
The texture was good and the consistency now was nice.
But the taste??? Bland.
I added a bit more yogurt and I had nothing.
So, I added some pepper and a wee bit more 
cumin and ginger and simmered for a bit longer.
Better but not the delightful dish I get from Mr. Massey.
I should have follow the recipe.

Now, in my defense I have seen and pinned
recipes that don't call for cream and I thought it was optional.
I will chalk it up to experience and try it again.

The next day I made up some basmati rice to go with
it and added a wee bit of curry paste.


It was actually quite good :)
***
Post script:
As I was writing this post up I came across this web site
that I wish I had seen before I ventured out 
into the palack paneer world alone ;)

Simply called Indian Food and it has a wonderful
video! Nothing like a visual!!
He explains everything really well and tells you why
things are done the way they. Great for beginners like me. 
(notice no cream and they are a bit goofy but
 they are obviously having fun Hahahaha!)
He has inspired me to try again.

Happy cooking Pussycats!!
Luv Weezi xo