Time to Get Personal: I Have Bad Skin

Helllu Pussycats!

I have decided to make my little blog here a little bit
more personal and include a few more
things about myself rather then just talk
about fashion, crafts etc.
I believe that adding some personal stories about Lisa (me)
rather then just talking about the shoppe
and the business (Weezi) it would
help make a more rounded blog.
My personal feelings, philosophies, opinions and 
experiences all help to make up
how and why I run my business the way I do.

Contrary to what many will tell you, I can be quite shy.
I find it easy to hid behind my Weezi persona and 
often shy away from talking about Lisa.
I have decide to be a bit more brave and
 show a wee bit more of myself.

One of the major reasons I don't often include many
 pics or pieces about myself is that I have bad 
skin and I am VERY self conscious about it.
I have problems with my skin since I was 11 years old
and it has never really gone away.
There have been good years and bad years
and the last few have been bad and
I have shied away from the camera and including
myself in posts b/c I am so self conscious about my face.

To be clear, I am not talking about a few pimples.
I am talking about rosacea, cystic acne, hormonal acne, acne
that is sore and often bleeds combined with a facial
 redness and scaring that never seems to go away.
It makes me crazy and it makes me sad.
I always thought that I would grow out of this and as an adult
I would have clear skin. I was wrong.

I use mountains of make up and do the best I can to conceal.
I always think that my acne is the first thing
people see and will judge me by it.
I have been judged by my skin in the past and it
can be a tough thing to let go.
When I see a photo of myself,  it is the first thing I see so
I have stayed away from sharing my face on line.

I know my skin isn't the worst in the world and I realize that many 
people suffer much more then I do.
It could be worse and I am grateful every day that it is not.
Some would tell me to happy with what I have and I try to.
But I am human, and I do wish for better skin
regardless of how bad it is or isn't to other people.

(BTW-I do not need to go gluten free or wheat free.
(please don't send me emails)
I have other dietary issues to deal with but not that one.)

I decided in January that I was going to tackle
my skin from a natural perspective.
I have had enough with all the chemicals and empty promises.
I have taken more pills and anti biotics then I care
to mention. I have used every cream and lotion under the sun 
and nothing works. Cortisone shots, peels and 
other treatments that hurt like hell didn't work.
Enough is enough.
I am giving natural a go for a year and see what happens.
What do I have to loose.???

Let me just say this.
Acne is VERY complicated. Not one thing works for everyone. 
It is extremely personal. If it was easy to treat
and cure, we would have one. Anyone who who tells me
they have a guaranteed remedy or a miracle cure is
full of ...."you know what".
Diet, stress, environment and DNA all contribute. 
I have tried it all people and there
is no miracle cure.
If you get the crappy end of the acne straw, 
you have learn to deal with it and move on.
It sucks but that is how it is.
Some things work great for some people and some don't.
This is the one truth out there when dealing w acne.


In the new year I decided that I had had enough of wasting 
my money and feeling powerless at the drug store.
My face was red, dry, it hurt, it bled and I wasn't seeing any
results for my money. I couldn't even pronounce
what I was putting on my face.
Daily, I was learning that these chemicals were evil
not to mention they didn't do a thing except dry out
 my face and CLEARLY that wasn't helping.

Alternatively, I was learning about the benefits
 of natural ingredients because of the cold process soap
 I was making for the Weezi studio.
All these lovely oils and butters where so
 great for the body and in your bath 
why not try them on my face too.
I had a light bulb moment.

Since January, I have been experimenting w
the oil cleansing method, honey masks, homemade
charcoal cold press soup and 
many kinds of essential oils.
I have to say, I have seen some good results.
Nothing crazy and nothing immediate but still...something positive.
The honey does seem to help reduce the redness.
The oil cleansing method is helping make my face softer.
I had many days when my face hurt. The acne hurt and my skin hurt.
The oils have helped take that hurt away.
Apple cider vinegar helps dry up my nasty "mini" out breaks.
(I will eventually talk about those experiences as we go.)

Today I am going to
share my experience with a homemade
oatmeal mask.
I have read a lot about the soothing properties of oatmeal.
and how it can provided much relief for rosacea, eczema
 and psoriasis. Many articles also rave about how it
 can help with acne so I decided to give it a try.
 Side note: I have been using ground
oatmeal in a honey mask and like it 
very much. It also makes a gentle exfoliate.

I want to try cooked oatmeal this afternoon.
Seeing as this is a bit of an experiment, I only used a small amount.
 1/4 cup of quick cook oatmeal with 1/4 cup or water.
I cooked on high until it got nice and thick.


I wanted to it be super think and "goopey" so it would stick
to my face and not drip.


I decided to add some honey to help make it stick to my 
face and not slide off.
I got brave and took a "before" shot. yikes.

The mask was really nice first of all because the oatmeal 
was still kind of warm. The honey did help make it stick
 to my face and not slide off.
I did decide to lay down for a bit and just let it sit.


As you can see, I really piled it on my trouble spots for extra soothing ;)
I let it sit for about 15 minutes and after that
I wiped it all off with a clean wash cloth.
I cleaned the residue off and gave a good massage with my oils:
organic virgin olive oil, Castor oil, hemp seed oil and jojoba oil.

As you can see my face is still red as I did use hot water to steam
to my face with the oils. I am hoping it will
calm down in a bit.
My face feels great even tho it looks sore.
It feels soft and very moisturized.
I will definitely do this again :)

So there you have it!!
My journey into reveling the real me has begun.
Thank you for your kindness and encouragement.
At the end of the day, we are all on this 
great journey together.

Have a great night Pussycats!
Luv Weei xo

ps- please do not try and sell me stuff or solicit your product here.
This blog is for me to share my expediences only.
Any attempt in solicitation will be blocked and banned, just so you know. 







6 comments

Terio said...

I have gone through many of the same things! I have dabbled with oil cleansing and I like what it does for the rest of my face but it never really helped the acne much. :( I don't know if you have come across this yet but fluoride, especially in toothpaste always aggravated my cystic acne. My sister recently made the switch too and it has helped her. Doesn't help with the hormonal stuff through. Keep us posted on how the oatmeal mask works!

Lisa Weezi Gaverluk said...

Thanx Terio! I agree w you about OCM even with the jojoba and hemp oil...not much change. I didn't know about fluoride.wow!! yet another ingredient to examine. Does it ever end??? Thanx so much for the heads up. I will look into that for sure.
I appreciative the nice note, thank you!! :)

Sue said...

you are a very courageous young women; all the very best; hopefully this will help you.

Lisa Weezi Gaverluk said...

Thanx Sue!!! Your kind words and support really help :)

Unknown said...

Hi, I have similar problems, and I happened on a "cure" (for lack of a better word) by chance. My mother thought I had rosacea, and gave me some seabuckthorn soap. It didn't do a lot for any redness, but it cleared up a lot of the acne I was having. I certainly haven't been acne free since, but it's better, and it doesn't dry my skin out. I also made the decision some years ago to give up on foundation. It only made things worse. It was really hard to do, but I feel better in the long run.

I think you're beautiful, and I've learned, as I'm sure you have, that anyone who can't see past your skin isn't worth having as a friend.

Lisa Weezi Gaverluk said...

Helllu! Oh, I have heard about seabuckthorn soap and have been very curious. I was considering making my own soap and putting some in it. I am very encouraged by your success and I think I will give it a go. To be honest, if I had to choose between acne and redness....I would take the redness. I could live w the red b/c I hate the pumps and cysts so much.

You are VERY brave to give up foundation! I am not sure I could especially when I am in the shoppe.
Congrats on doing it!!!

Thank you for your kind words, you are super sweet!! I really appreciate that, I get called a lot of things but it isn't everyday I called beautiful. *hugs*

And you are right,if they can't get past it they aren't worth it. It is just so darn hard some days especially doing business.

I am thrilled that you took the time to write and tell me about the seabuckthorne, thank you!!Best of luck with your journey and I hope we chat again soon!! xo