Crock Pot Lasagna

Helllu Pussycats!


It is no secret that I am not
much of a cook.
I am trying and I have had 
some success. Thankfully, it seems that I have
gotten thru the learning curve of over cooking
or burning everything Hahahah!
Such a cliche but so true. 

My issue now seems to be that I am not good
 w seasoning things.  I seem to be way
too cautious when using seasonings and 
adding flavours. This is one of the reasons why 
I like the crock pot. I like the idea that things can really 
simmer and stew for a long time. I am hoping
 that everything in there
 will be well seasoned by the time it is done.
This is still a working theory for me ;)

I have wanted to try a crock pot lasagna for a long time.
I was hesitant b/c it seemed wrong and 
weird to do noodles in the crock pot.
But, after some reading I decided this week 
was the week to give it a go.
What was the worst that can wrong? ;)
( I was terified of ruining it and having to
throw away all that cheese!!)

These are the recipes that I used for inspiration:
1. from Get Crocked
This is I liked b/c it was a veggie version and
to be honest, I liked her photo.

This one seemed really easy and
that is important to me at this stage.

3. from Red Tricycle
Again, liked the photo, it looked easy
and the ever important well known reason
for liking a recipe...I liked the name of the blog.
What can I say??? I am a girl who likes cute things.
What me to be a fan?? Make it cute and I am all
over you :)

I saw this on Pinterest & liked her step
by step pics and she made it seem easy.

Let's be honest here. I am not that complicated.
When it comes to cooking all I really need
is someone to make it sound simple and give me a visual.
Not unlike how I approached math in high school.
It didn't go over well ;)


Okay so I used:
( please remember I was adding and 
subtracting from the above
recipes as I went a long.
Sorry I don't have exact measurements)
***
*1 tub of light cottage cheese
*1 tub of light ricotta cheese
*1 egg
*2 packages of frozen spinach
(thawed and squeezed out the excess water)
*approx. 1 cup of frozen cauliflower
*approx. 1 cup of frozen broccoli
both thawed and squeezed out as well)
* a hand full of garlic cloves
*1 large bottle of spaghetti sauce
* 4 cups of shredded mozzarella
* basil, thyme, brown sugar, garlic salt
and Italian seasonings for the spaghetti sauce
* approx. 1/2 of oven ready lasagna noodles.

The prep was like every other lasagna recipe really.
Saute the garlic and make up your tomato/spaghetti sauce
to taste.
Then mix together your egg, spinach, ricotta
and cottage cheeses.

Now it is time to start layering.
I put in a generous amount of tomato sauce
for my first layer.
Next, I broke up the noodles and covered the
sauce completely.

I then layered up the spinach and cheese mixture,
the broccoli and cauliflower mix topped off by a
layer of shredded mozzarella cheese.


I did that twice.
After the last layer of mozzarella, I added one last layer 
of noodles w more shredded cheese on top.
The pot was full, maybe a wee bit too full.
( see pic on the left hand side)


I cooked on high for 3 hours and it was cooked very well thru
but not too soggy.


Taaa Daa!
When it was all said and done, I was happy with
how it turned out.
My only issue was that it didn't have the flavour that
I was hoping for.
I could barely taste the garlic or any of the spices I
added to my tomato sauce however, 
I am not disappointed at all.
The consistency was great and the
crock pot did exactly what it was supposed
to do. 
I will try again and I hope eventually I will 
get this whole seasoning thing down flat.

Enjoy Pussycats!
Hope you give it a go!
Have a great afternoon, 
Lu v Weezi xo


1 comment

Deanne said...

This looks delish! Love crock pot cooking!