Black and White

What's Black & White & Liked All Over
Hellu Pussycats!
Happy Friday!
Today's Friday Favourites is about black and white gingham.
gingham [ˈgɪŋəm]
n

a.  a cotton fabric, usually woven of two coloured yarns in a checked or striped design
b.  (as modifier) a gingham dress
[from French guingan, from Malay ginggang striped cloth]
I made this special order dress for the Palasad Restaurant
last weekend.
They have asked me to design them a few vintage inspired dresses
for their "Pinette" girls to wear while doing some fabulous
promotional work with their new mascot the "Pin Dude".

Great fun! Poodle skirts are next!
For the girls...not "Pin Dude".
***
I have always luved gingham but never really thought much about the origins
of gingham and where it came from.
So, b/c I am nosy by nature I thought I would look it up.
Here is what I learned:
1.
Many believe that the name for the fabric was derived from Italian, while others believe the term gingham is of Indonesian origin. The actual term “gingham” is from the Malay language and with both the possible Indonesian and Italian roots agree that the term refers to stripes.
Some argue that it is from the Italian "ging-gang," while
others cite the Malaysian word "genggang." Still others argue

2.
It was originally striped, but gradually came to be a checkered fabric. A popular color combination for gingham was blue and white.
Gingham made its first appearance in the 17th century, where it was imported to England and then migrated to the American colonies.
3.
The production of gingham was a major economic boon to Manchester England.
In the New World, gingham made the textile industry a powerful force in what is now the Virginias, the Carolinas, Georgia and Alabama.
***
Now I could be wrong, but I think the big appeal over the years is that is was 
inexpensive and durable. 
Considering how laundry was done for the last 100+ years, fabric had to be.
I think the other appeal was that the plaid checks made it easy to sew a straight line.
I don't know about a lot of you but when
I learned to sew as a kid gingham was one of the first fabrics I used.
This is why smocking on gingham was so big.
Who could blame them?
It hangs nicely and looks cheerful.
I think that is why today it is still a winner.
We see gingham on everything now.

I went looking for black & white gingham on Etsy and this is what I found...
 from MaryBethHale
***

***

***
***
***

***


***

from bOmode
***
***
 from Reclaimer
***


***

***

***
Phil the Penguin from PinkSherbert
( I couldn't resist showing Phil!)
***
 from Weezi
***

Have a great Friday Pussycats!
Be in touch! Luv Weezi xo
photo by Adam Gaverluk












6 comments

Terrace Hill said...

ADORABLE...I love Gingham. Your apron is too cute!

Here's mine:http://www.etsy.com/listing/54904850/pink-on-black-gingham-check-1950s-diner

Vanessa Mala/HeightofVintage said...

I am loving the Black&White gingham.
It's so classic and you can dress it up or down.
Love those shoes.

Thanks for the feature sweets!

mary beth said...

Thanks so much for including me with all of these lovelies!

Jamie Creason said...

Wonderful fun little post! The penguin is darling! Your custom piece is just perfect!

Jamie

Karen/Small Earth Vintage said...

Lisa, that dress you made is so cute! And I kind of love Pin Dude.

Great gingham picks--especially loving that tulip pocket dress!

Weezi.com said...

Thanx everyone!!!I am glad that you all feel the same way about gingham as I do!
I appreciate the kind words about the dress...I will do more for sure.
xo